Qualification:PhD in Food, Nutrition and Dietetics (Kenyatta University, Kenya)
- 2014: PhD in Food, Nutrition and Dietetics (Kenyatta University, Kenya)
- 2009: Master of Public Health - Health promotion and International health (Maseno University, Kenya)
- 2007: Master of Food Science and Nutrition (Gent University, Belgium)
- 2003: Bachelor of Education (Moi University, Kenya)
- MurambiwaNyati, Irene Ogada, and Christopher Nyirenda. Adequacy of energy, zinc and selenium intakes among adult inpatients receiving total naso-gastric tube feeding admitted to a Copperbelt province Referral Hospital, in Ndola District, Zambia. Biomed Central Nutrition. October 2016. DOI: 10.1186/s40795-016-0103-5
- Purity ChepkorirLang’at, Irene AwuorOgada, Audrey Steenbeek, Godfrey Odinga and Michael M. Mwachiro (2016). Do the Feeding Practices and Nutrition Status among HIV-Exposed Infants Less Than 6 Months of Age Follow the Recommended Guidelines in Bomet County, Kenya? Biomed Central Nutrition. July 2016. DOI: 10.1186/s40795-016-0084-4.
- Irene Ogada, Sophie Ochola, ZandileMchiza, RosebellaOnyango and Florence Okeyo. The Influence of Couple-counselling and Maternal-counselling on Early Breastfeeding Practices in Nyando District, Kenya. The South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2014; 27(3):87-182 (September). ISBN 1607-0658 (Abstract)
Areas of specialisations:
Public Health Nutrition, Maternal and Child Nutrition and Health
I am passionate about supporting students to become well-rounded, empowered and compassionate individuals. In my teaching and supervision, I believe in creating a positive and safe learning environment, where students can explore their own knowledge as well as learn from one another. I strive to enrich the problem solving skills of my students, with a holistic and global perspective of nutrition and health. From my daily experiences, individual reflections and learners’ feedback, I endeavour to enrich my pedagogical approach.
My teaching and research interests are a convergence of nutritional sciences and community oriented courses. This is shaped by my passion for innovative and cost-effective nutrition and health programs that have a strong clinical evidence base as an outcome. I therefore mainly engage in participatory action research applying mixed methods. I have a special focus and interest on vulnerable or disadvantaged populations such as: women, children, disabled persons, people of low socio-economic status and the ‘labelled’ groups.
To date, I have mainly done studies in a developing country’s context-Kenya. I intend to expand my research experiences and include a wider geographical setting, specifically the developed countries and other developing countries. This is motivated by the realisation that developing countries are in a rapid transition to facing similar nutrition problems as the developed countries, and that globalisation has local impacts on communities.
Specifically my research interests are:
• The intersection between nutrition and nutrition sensitive issues; gender, agriculture, health, environment
• Co-existence of hidden hunger and over-nutrition
• Innovative nutrition and health promotion and programming
• Innovative research approaches in nutrition and health – use of GIS, Cell phones
• Randomised controlled trials
Other trainings and experiences:
- 13th-24th October 2014: Micro-research training. Institute of Tropical and Infectious Diseases (UNITID), University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 30th July- 1stAugust 2014: Scaling up Nutrition (SUN) Kenya. Training on Nutrition Advocacy, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 29th April and 3rd-6th June 2014: Validation workshops for the East African Community’s Food and Nutrition Security Policy in Nairobi, Kenya and Kampala, Uganda respectively.
- January 15th – 17th 2014: African Population and Health Research Centre (APHRC), Nairobi- Training on – “Translating research into policy.”
- September- December 2013: Student for Development Internship at Mount Saint Vincent University, Nova Scotia-Canada.
- August 6th- 22nd 2012: Organisation for Social Science Research in Eastern and Southern Africa (OSSREA), Addis Ababa-Ethiopia. Research Methodology Training Workshop Series for PhD Candidates (3rd Round)- Theme: Quantitative and Qualitative Methods in Social Science Research.
- May 17th-18th 2012: Ministry of Public and Sanitation- Stakeholder workshop in the development of the National Urban Nutrition Strategy, Nairobi-Kenya.
- April 16th- 25th 2012: Hogeschool Universiteit Brussels, Belgium- Training on “Facilitating multi-actor collaboration for sustainable resources management”
- September 7th-9th 2011: Kenya Bureau of Standard’s National Quality Institute – Training on “Internal Quality Auditor training (ISO 9001: 2008).”
- June 22nd- 24th 2011: Information training and outreach centre for Africa in conjunction with Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) and World Health Organisation (WHO)- Training on “E-resources.”
- May 3rd-6th 2011: United Nation’s Food and Agricultural Organisation’s Food Security and Nutrition Analysis unit- Training on- “Nutrition and food security surveillance and analysis.”
- February-May 2007: Gent University, Belgium- “Low Countries studies: The Socio-cultural, historical and Socio-economic systems of Belgium, Flanders & Netherlands.”
- March-May 2006: Finland’s Centre for International Mobility (CIMO) Student Internship at Vaasa, Hammelina and Helsinki Universities in Finland- Practical and theoretical training on the health systems, policies and issues of Finland.
Oral Conference Presentations:
- 18th September 2014- Oral presentation: The Influence of Couple-counselling and Maternal-counselling on Early Breastfeeding Practices in Nyando District, Kenya. Nutrition Congress 2014, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 30th March 2012- Oral presentation: Couple counseling in promoting optimal infant feeding in Nyando District, Kenya. Danone Workshop on Maternal and Child Nutrition.
- 4th October 2010- Oral presentation: “The Influence of Nutrition Counselling on the Nutritional Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Women Living With HIV and AIDS In Budalangi Division, Busia District, Kenya”. 4th Africa Nutritional Epidemiology Conference, in Nairobi, Kenya.
- 9th May 2006- Oral presentation: “Current Health Issues in Kenya”. Hameenlinna University, Finland, International Day
Responsibilities Held to Date:
- Internal Quality Auditor
- Departmental Programmes Coordinator
- Student Mentor
- Class Advisor
Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 May 2017 09:19