Prof. Judith Kimiywe
Position: Associate professor
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Marja Mutanen, Lauriina Schneider, Mikko Kosola, Crippina Lubeka and Judith Kimiywe (2017 Mothers’ knowledge on complementary feeding is inferior to knowledge on breastfeeding, and associates with inadequate complementary feeding practices of 6 to 17-month-old children in Kenya" accepted to Maternal & Child Nutrition. Your manuscript ID is MCN-10-17-OA-2839.
- Laura Agaba Byaruhanga, Dorothy Mukudi Masinde, Gail R. Nonnecke, Dennis Lutwama, Judith Kimiywe, Daudi Mose Nyangares (2017) Effect of school garden food production on nutrient adequacy of school meals for children attending Namasagali primary school in rural Kamuli district, Uganda. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition, Vol 2; 4; 114-118. ISSN: 2455-4898
- Rajwinder Harika , Mieke Faber , Folake Samuel, Judith Kimiywe , Afework Mulugeta and Ans Eilander (2017) Micronutrient Status and Dietary Intake of Iron, Vitamin A, Iodine, Folate and Zinc in Women of Reproductive Age and Pregnant Women in Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa: A Systematic Review of Data from 2005 to 2015. Nutrients 2017, 9, 1096 MDPI
- Bukania ZN, Kimiywe J, Johns T, Mwangi M, Kaduka LU, et al. (2017) Inadequate and Excessive Urinary Iodine Concentration in School Age Girls and Women in Makueni, Eastern Kenya. J Epid Prev Med 3(1): 125.
- Mwaniki M and Kimiywe J. (2017) Nutritional Management of Childhood Diarrhoea in Korogocho Slum Nairobi County, Kenya. Ann Nutr Disord & Ther. 2017; 4(2): 1046.
- Winfreda Maoga, Judith Kimiywe, Hudson Nyambaka (2017). Comparison of Nutrient Composition of Hypochondriacus Amaranth Grain with the Conventional Cereals in Kenya and organoleptic evaluation of Amaranth-based porridges for consumption by HIV and AIDS Infected Children. Nutrition and Food Toxicology 1.1 (2017): 31-40.
- Kiboi W, Kimiywe J, Chege P. (2017). Determinants of dietary diversity among pregnant women in laikipia County, Kenya: A cross-sectional study. BMC Nutrition 3:12 DOI 10.1186/s40795-017-0126-6
- Rajwinder Harika, Mieke Faber, Folake Samuel, Afework Mulugeta, Judith Kimiywe & Ans Eilander (2017) Iron, vitamin A, zinc and iodine status and intake in children and adolescents in Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa. Food Nutr Bull, 2017: doi: 10.1177/0379572117715818
- Schneider L, Ollila S, Kimiywe J, Lubeka C, Mutanen M. (2017) Is competence enough to enable Kenyan mothers to make good infant and young child feeding decisions? Matern Child Nutr. 2017;e12422. https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.12422
- Judith Kimiywe and Peter Chege (2017) Determinants of Complementary Feeding and Nutrition Status of Children 6-23 Months in VihigaCounty, Kenya. BAOJ Pediat 3: 032.
- Chege P, Kimiywe J (2016) Micronutrient and Microbial Quality Assessment of Solar Dried Amaranth (Amaranthus Cruentus) Leaves Produced in Kajiado County Kenya. Nutr Food Technol Open Access 3(1): doi http://dx.doi. org/10.16966/2470-6086.135
- Nyamota, WM, Kuria EN, Kimiywe J (2016), Adequacy of Nutrient Intake, Morbidity and Nutritional status of HIV and AIDs infected children at PER and POST amaranth Grain Supplementation . J Nutr Health &Eng 2016 4 (1): 00116.
- Kiboi W, Kimiywe J, Chege P. (2016) Dietary Diversity, Nutrient Intake and Nutritional Status among Pregnant women in Laikipia Kenya. IJHRS Vol. 6 issue 4, 2016, ISSN:2249-9571
- Gitau GN, Kimiywe JO, Waudo JN, Gitau JN. (2016). Primary school Pupils in Muranga County, Kenya acquire Nutrition Knowlege and Enhance Iron Rich Food Consumption. International journal for Research in Health Sciences and Nursing, March 2016
- Odiwour AF and Kimiywe JO (2016). Physical Activity Patterns of Pregnant Women in Rongo, Kenya. Sch. J. Arts. Humanit. Soc. Sci, 4(2A) : 139-146 ISSN 2347-5374, ISSN 2347-9493
- Gladys N Gitau, Judith O Kimiywe, and Judith N Waudo (2016). Quality Nutrition Education and its Impact on Haemoglobin levels of School Pupils of Muranga County, Kenya. IJANHS- International Journal of advanced Nutritional and Health Science Vol. 4, issue 1, 155-173, ID Med 280 ISSN 2848-5140
- John, W.A., Kimiywe, J. and Hudson, N. 2015. Determination of phytate and oxalate in selected recipes of underutilized local vegetables from the Lake Victoria Basin, Kenya. Acta Hort. (ISHS) 1102:275-286 http://www.actahort.org/books/1102/1102_34.htm
- Elain Ferguson, Peter Chege, Judith Kimiywe, Doris Weisman, Christine Hotz (2015). Zinc, iron and calcium are major limiting nutrients in the complementary diets of rural Kenyan children. Maternal and Child Nutrition 11 (53) 6-20
- Gitau GN, Kimiywe JO, Waudo JN, Mbithe DK(2016) Primary School Pupils in Kenya Learn and Practice Good Hygiene. J Child Adolesc Behav 3:367.doi:10-417/2375-4494-1000267
- Bukania ZN, Mwangi M, Kaduka LU, Kimiywe J and van der Haar F (2015) Difference in Blood Pressure between Arms of Normatensive Female Farmers in the Semi-arid Midlands of Kenya. Epidemiology (sunny vale) S1:002. Doi:10.4172/2161-1165.S1-002
- Wakhanu J, Kimiywe J, Nyambaka H, (2015) Oxalate levels in selected African Indigenous vegetable Recipes from the Lake Victoria Basin Kenya. International Journal of Agriculture and Environment (IJAER) No. 8. Pp 88-105
- Chege P. Kimiywe J. Ndungu ZW (2015) Influence of culture on dietary practices of children under five years among the Maasai pastoralists in Kajiado Kenya. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical activity (IJBNPA) 2015 12:131 doi:10-1186/s12966-05-02843
- Elizabeth W. Kimani-Murage, Judith Kimiywe , Mark Kabue , Frederick Wekesah , Evelyn Matiri , Nelson Muhia , Milka Wanjohi , Peterrock Muriuki , Betty Samburu , James N. Kanyuira , Sera L. Young, Paula L. Griffiths , Nyovani J. Madise and Stephen T. McGarvey1. (2015) Feasibility and effectiveness of the baby friendly community initiative in rural Kenya: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 16: 431
- Elaine Ferguson, Peter Chege, Judith Kimiywe, Doris Weismann, Christine Hotz, Enock Musunguzi (2015). Modification of local diets could fill gaps in B-vitamin intakes but calcium, iron and zinc intake gaps require external solutions for breastfed children in rural Kenya. EJNSF (European Journal of Nutrition and Food safety) ISSN:2347-5641 Vol 5 special issue pg 473-474
- Judith Kimiywe (2014) Pilot study in rural setting in Kenya to determine the effectiveness and feasibility of the Baby Friendly Community Initiative (BFCI). Springer Science and Business Media, ISRCTN03467700
- Gitau, GN, Kimiywe J, Waudo J. (2014). Investigating Iron Status of Women. Iron status of Reproductive Age.Lambert Academic Publishing
- Kimiywe, J. (2014) Food and Nutrition Security :Challenges for Post-tharvest handling in Kenya ( PNS submitted Manuscript) to Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, Cambridge University press. PNS-14-0084
- Chege P, Kuria E, Kimiywe J, Nyambaka H. (2014). Changes in Nutrient content for Beta carotene, Iron. And Zinc in solar dried and stored Amaranthus cruentus vegetables. IJAIR Vol.3. Issue 3, ISSN (online) 2319-1473
- Kimiywe J, Chege PM (2014) Complementary feeding Practices and Nutritional Status of Children 6-23 months in Kitui County Kenya. (submitted to the Journal of Applied Biosciences) (JAB -976-2014) October 2014
- Chege P, Kuria E, Kimiywe J, Nyambaka H. (2014). Retention of B-carotene, Iron and Zinc in Solar Dried Amaranth Leaves in Kajiado County, Kenya. International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR) ISSN 2307-4531 Vol 13, No 2 (2014) 329-338.
- Mitheko A, Kimiywe J, Njeru PN. (2015) Prevalence of Serum Zinc deficiency and its association with Dietary Intake among Pregnant Women in Naivasha, Kenya, EJNF-European Journal of Nutrition and Food Safety) Special issue ISSN:2347-5641 Vol 5: 354-355
- Odiwour F, Kimiywe J, Rombo G. (2014) Pregnant women’s Energy Consumption and Weight Gain: The Perspective of a Rural Community at Rongo District, Kenya. Discourse Journal of Agriculture and Food Science (DJAFS) ISSN:2346-7002 Vol 2(8): 242-257, 2014
- Florence AronyOdiwuor, Judith Kimiywe, Anunda Henry and George O. Rombo. (2014).Pregnant Women’s Energy Consumption and Weight Gain: The Perspective of a Rural Community at Rongo District Kenya. Discourse Journal of Agriculture and Food SciencesISSN: 2346-7002: Volume 2 Issue 8 Page 242 - 257. August 2014
- Lubeka C, Kimiywe J (2013). Effectiveness of Nutritional and Health Interventions on HIV infected Children in Mathare. International Journal of Education and Research vol.1 No.7 July 2013
- Gladys N. Gitau, Kimiywe J., Waudo J. and Dorcus Mbithe (2013). Effects of Nutrition Education on Nutrition Knowledge and Iron Status in Primary School Pupils of Gatanga District,Muranga County Kenya. Current Research in Nutrition and Foods Science, Vol. 1 (2), 115-123 2013
- Githiri M, Kimiywe J, Okemo P. Knowledge in Food Hygiene and Hygiene practices in Food Handlers at a hospital in Nairobi, Kenya. African Journal of Food Science and Technology (ISSN: 2141-5455) Vol. 4(1) pp. 19-24, January, 2013
- Mbochi RW, Kuria E, Kimiywe J, Ochola S, Steyn NP (2012) Predictors of Overweight and Obesity in Adult Women in Nairobi province, Kenya. Journal of BMC Public Health. 2012, 12:823
- Ekesa B.N., Kimiywe J., Davey M.W., Claudie D.M., Van den B.I., Karamura D. and Blomme G.(2012) Banana and Plantain (Musa spp.) Cultivar Preference, Local Processing Techniques and Consumption Patterns in Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. International Journal of Agriculture Sciences, ISSN: 0975-3710 & E-ISSN: 0975-9107, Volume 4, Issue 8 Page-312-319
- Beatrice NakhaukaEkesa, Judith Kimiywe, Inge Van den Bergh, Guy Blomme, ClaudieDhuique-Mayer, Mark Davey (2013).Content and Retention of Provitamin A Carotenoids Following Ripening and Local Processing of Four Popular Musa Cultivars from Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.Sustainable Agriculture Research ISSN 1927-050X.vol.2 No.2 (2013)
- Ekesa, B, Poulaert, M, Mark.W. Davey, MW, Kimiywe, J, Van den Bergh, I,Guy Blomme, G, Dhuique-Mayer, C. (2011) Bioaccessibility of provitamin A carotenoids in bananas (Musa spp.) and derived dishes in African countries. Submitted to the Journal of Food Chemistry 133, 1471-1477
- Chege P, Kuria E, Kimiywe J. (2010) A comparative study on dietary practices, morbidity patterns and nutritionstatus of HIV/AIDS infected and non-infected pre-school children in Kibera slum, Kenya. J. Appl. Biosci. Vol.32:2990-2014
- Were GM,Ohiolepelai O, Olieyo Owuor Jb, Mbagaya GM, Kimiywe J, Mbithe D and MM Owello (March 2010)Soybean (glycine Max) Complementation and the Zinc status of HIV and AIDS affected children in Suba District,Kenya. AJFAND Vol. 10 (2) ISSN 1684/5374
- Githiri M, Okemo P, Kimiywe J (2010) Hygienic practices and occurrence of coliforms and staphylococcus on food atpublic hospital in Kenya. JAB Vol. 27 (2010) pp 1727-1731
- Mse E, Kimiywe J, Simiyu N.W.W (2009 The extent of Dietary Supplements use by Male Rugby Players in Kenya.JAB Vol. 22:1306-1311
- Mse E, Kimiywe J, Simiyu JWW (2009) Demographic Characteristisc and Dietary Supplements use by Male RugbyPlayers in the 2006 Season of Kenya Cup League. AJAHS Vol. 1(1) : 8-13