Dr. Dorcus Mbithe David Kigaru
Page 3 of 3
- The 2nd Africa Region Conference of Gerontology and Geriatrics‘Long Term Care Systems For Sub-Saharan Africa: Setting Agenda’ to be held on 28-30 November 2016 at APHRC Campus,Nairobi,Kenya
- Coordination of UN IAEA Regional project: Representing Kenya: In Morocco (2012), Cape Town, South Africa (2012), Vienna, Austria (2014)
- Committee member and Secretary, African Nutrition Conference, North Coast Beach Hotel, Mombasa 10th – 14th March 2014
- Departmental Linkages/collaboration Coordinator: coordinated exchange programme between Kenyatta University and Oklahoma State University, Mt. St. Vincent University and Texas Tech University
- The National Museum of Kenya 2009 and 2011 National Food Fair – Chairperson scientific Symposium
- The e-learning Conference Organized by Kenyatta University – Kenyatta University _ Organising Committee Member
- The First Pan-African Family Strengths International Conference, North Coast Beach Hotel, Mombasa, Kenya/Kenyatta University – Organizing Committee Member
3. Book chapter
- Book Title: Food Safety, from Farm to Fork: Emerging and Re-emerging Issues (2020) Cambridge Scholars Publishing. Chapter Two: Understanding the Livelihood Challenges of Food Vendors in Three Markets in Selected Informal Settlements in Nairobi County: A Crisis or Opportunity? Christine Njuguna, Dorcus Mbithe D. Kigaru and Patrick Kamande
- Dorcus Mbithe and others. 2011. Book Title – Innovations as Key to the Green Revolution in Africa:Chapter Title – Enhancing Agricultural Production Potential through Good Nutrition and Health: The Case of Suba District, Kenya. Springer Sciences + Business Media B.V 2011
- The International Atomic energy Agency (IAEA)-Kenya National Nutrition project KEN 6025 Title: Enhancing the Use of Isotope Technique Applications to Assess the Effects of Nutrition Related Interventions) hosted at and led by Kenyatta University under my leadership as counterpart and lead scientist (2020-2023).
- I previously successfully led/coordinated another IAEA African Regional (AFRA) Nutrition project on Obesity (representing Kenya) in which 11 African Countries participated. Title of Project: RAF6042: Applying Nuclear Techniques to Design and Evaluate Interventions to Reduce Obesity and Related Health Risks (2012-2017)
- Dorcus Mbithe D. Kigaru (2019) Improved Approach to Community-based Nutrition in Turkana (IMPACT) in Katilu and Turkwel Wards, Turkana County: Baseline survey Report. Africare IMPACT Project
- Dorcus Mbithe D. Kigaru (2018) Baseline Survey Report on Agriculture-Nutrition Knowledge, Attitudes & Practices (KAP) in 12 Selected Counties In Kenya RTI International Kenya Feed the Future Crops and Dairy Market Systems Activity Nairobi-Kenya. RTI/USAID
- Resilience and Economic Growth in Arid Lands-Improving Resilience (REGAL-IR) - Improved Nutritional Outcomes: Maternal, Infant and Young Child Nutrition (MIYCN) Knowledge,Practices and Coverage (KPC) Mid Term Survey 2016: Turkana and Isiolo Counties- by the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN), Kenya, REGAL-IR Partner
- Home Fortification with Micronutrient Powder (MNP) in Nairobi County, Kenya: Consultancy for the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN): 2014-2015
- UN Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO). Development and piloting of Education for Effective Nutrition in Action (ENACT) module — Professional Training in Nutrition Education.2013-2015.
- Ministry of Health, Division of Leprosy, Tuberculosis and Lung diseases and AMREF: Development of Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Framework and Revision of other Materials in the management of malnutrition in/and Tuberculosis and co-morbidities. Food commodity management. 2013-2014
- UN International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Technical Cooperation Regional Project RAF6042: Applying Nuclear Techniques to Design and Evaluate Interventions to Reduce Obesity and Related Health (Project in 11 African Countries). I represent Kenya in the project: 2012-2017
- Training nutritionists, clinicians, community volunteers, community health workers and nurses from hospitals in South Rift in Kericho district hospital supported by Walter Reed/KEMRI foundation on Integrated Management of Acute Malnutrition (IMAM) and HIV/AIDS and nutrition commodity management- especially Food-by-Prescription; Ready to Use Therapeutic foods; Plumpy nut, Plumpy Sup, and fortified blended flours; Corn-soy blend (CSB), First Food®, Foundation Plus+® and Advantage®. 2012-2013
- Enhancing food security of drought vulnerable households in Marsabit and Context Evaluation a Future ACK/DKH Nutrition Intervention Component by Diakonie Emergeny Aid, Kenya to manage Acute Malnutrition. 2012.
- Food Security Project/Emergency Aid: Training on Nutrition Assessment especially on MUAC, Acute Malnutrition and Utilization of food commodities for management of severe acute malnutrition (Ready to Use therapeutic foods (RUTF), Ready to Use Supplementary Foods RUSF) and commodities for management of moderate acute malnutrition (Fortified Blended Flours) in Marsabit by Diakonie Emergeny Aid, Kenya. 2011
- Management of Malnutrition and HIV/AIDS 2006-2011 with USAID/NHP and Ministry of Health, Kenya. Training health workers especially nutritionists and nurses on Nutrition management: Nutrition care process, Nutrition Assessment, Nutrition intervention, Food-by Prescription food commodities (Ready to Use Therapeutic Foods (for management of severe acute malnutrition, SAM), Ready to Use supplementary Foods and Fortified blended flours for management of moderate acute malnutrition (MAM). Data management and reporting.
- Organization of the National Museums of Kenya Scientific Symposium during the Annual National Food Fair Week. 2009-2010
- Ministry of Health, Division of Leprosy, Tuberculosis and Lung diseases: Development of M & E Framework and Revision of other Materials. 2014
- VVOB Healthy Learning Programme in Machakos, Kajiado, Narok, Samburu and Laikipia Districts. 2008-1012. Funded by the Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) and the World Agro forestry Centre
- Development of Training and Reference Manual for Nutrition & HIV in Kenya supported by USAID/NHP Programme and NASCOP. 2006-2010