Dr. Sophie Ochola
Area of Specialization: Public health nutrition with special focus on: Maternal and child nutrition, food security, nutrition in Emergencies, nutrition and HIV/AIDS, community programme design and evaluation
Research Interests: Infant and young child feeding, maternal nutrition, overweight and obesity, emergency nutrition, climate change and health
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
Articles in refereed Journals
- Naureen Andare, Sophie Ochola and Peter Chege. Determinants of infant feeding practices among mothers living with HIV attending prevention of mother to child transmission Clinic at Kiambu Level 4 hospital, Kenya: a cross-sectional study. BMC Nutrition Journal (2019) 18:64 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12937-019-0490-y
- Peterson Kato Kikomeko, Sophie Ochola, Irene A. Ogada, Archileo N. Kaaya, Peace Nakito, 2019. Strengthening Undergraduate Human Nutrition and Dietetics Training in Uganda: The Need to adopt a Competency-based Education. Journal of Education and Practice. ISSN 2222-1735 (Paper). ISSN 2222-288X (Online). DOI:10.7176/JEP.Vol.10, No.21
- Stellah Malaso Koini, Sophie Ochola, Irene A. Ogada. 2019 Socio-cultural factors and complementary feeding of children 6-23 months among Maasai in Narok South Africa Kenya Journal of Health, Medicine and Nursing. An Internal Peer-reviewed Journal. ISSN 2422-8419. DOI:10.7176/JHMN. VOL. 62, 2019.
- Lucy-Joy M. Wachira, Stella K. Muthuri, Sophie A. Ochola, Vincent O. Onywera, Mark S. Tremblay.
2018 Screen-based sedentary behaviour and adiposity among school children: Results from International Study of Childhood Obesity, Lifestyle and the Environment (ISCOLE) –Kenya PLoS ONE 13(6): e0199790.https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0199790. 2018
- Stellah Malaso Koini, Sophie Ochola, Irene Ogada. Association of Complementary Feeding Practices and Nutritional Status of Children 6-23 Months of Age among Maasai Community in Narok South Sub-County, Kenya. International Journal of Innovative Research and Advanced Studies (IJIRAS) Volume 5 Issue 3, March 2018. ISSN: 2394-4404.
- T, Njoki, S.Ochola, M. Mutua, and E.W. Kimani. 2018 Association between household food security and infant feeding practices in urban informal settlements in Nairobi, Kenya". Journal of Developmental Origin of Health and Disease (doi:10.1017/S2040174417001064.
- Jacqueline K. Kung'u, Richard Pendame, Mame Bineta Ndiaye, Mulusew Gerbaba, Sophie Ochola, Adama Faye, Sulochana Basnet, Edward A. Frongillo, Sara Wuehler, Luz Maria De‐Regil. 2018 Integrating nutrition into health systems at community level: Impact evaluation of the community‐based maternal and neonatal health and nutrition projects in Ethiopia, Kenya, and Senegal. Matern Child Nutr. 14 (S1):e12577. https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.12577.
- Esther L. Anono, Sophie Ochola, Salome Wawire, Irene Ogada, Crispin Ndedda, Jacqueline K. Kung’u. "Community Perceptions towards the new role of Traditional Birth Attendants child Nutrition s Birth Companions and Nutrition Advocates in Kakamega County, Kenya". Matern Child Nutr. 2018;14 (S1):e12577. https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.12578.
- Jacqueline K. Kung'u, Richard Pendame, Mame Bineta Ndiaye, Mulusew Gerbaba, Sophie Ochola, Adama Faye, Sulochana Basnet, Edward A. Frongillo, Sara Wuehler, Luz Maria De‐
Regil. Integrating nutrition into health systems at community level: Impact evaluation of the community‐based maternal and neonatal health and nutrition projects in Ethiopia, Kenya, and Senegal. Matern Child Nutr. 2018;14 (S1):e12577. https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.12577.
- Mahat Jimale Mohamed, Sophie Ochola and Victor O. Owino. Comparison of knowledge,
attitudes and practices on exclusive breastfeeding between primiparous and multiparous
mothers attending Wajir District Hospital,Wajir County, Kenya: a cross-sectional analytical 17 study. International Breastfeeding Journal (2018) 13:11. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13006-018-0151-3.
- Purity Chepkorir, Irene Ogada, Audrey Steenbeek, Noni E. Macdonalds, Sophie Ochola
Wesley Bor, Godfrey Odinga. Infant feeding practices among HIV-exposed infants less than 6 months of age in Bomet County, Kenya: An in-depth qualitative study of feeding choices.Arch Dis Child 2018;0:1–4. doi:10.1136/archdischild-2017-314521.
- T, Njoki, S.Ochola, M. Mutua, and E.W. Kimani. Association between household food security and infant feeding practices in urban informal settlements in Nairobi, Kenya". Journal of Developmental Origin of Health and Disease (2018), doi:10.1017/S2040174417001064.
- Okoth JK, Ochola SA, Gikonyo NK and Makokha AO.Efficacy of amaranth sorghum grains porridge in rehabilitating moderately acute malnourished children in a low-resource setting in Kenya: A randomized controlled trial. Integr Food NutrMetab, 2017 doi: 10.15761/IFNM.1000185
- Angelica Kimwele, Sophie Ochola. Complementary Feeding and Nutritional status of children 6-23 months attending Kahawa West Public Health Centre, Nairobi. IOSR Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences (IOSR-JNHS e-ISSN: 2320-1959. p-ISSN:2340-1940 Volume 6, Issue 2 Ver. VI (Mar-Apr. 2017), PP 17-26.
- Mary N. Makau, Sophie Ochola, DorcusMbithe. Feeding Practices of Children Aged 0-59 Months Accompanying Incarcerated Mothers in Selected Women’s Prisons in Kenya DOI: The Open Nutrition Journal 10.2174/1874288201711101???? 2017
- Florence K. M’Kaibi, Nelia P. Steyn, Sophie Ochola:The relationship between agricultural biodiversity, dietary diversity, household food security and stunting of children in rural Kenya Food Science and Nutrition,Doi:10.1002/fsn3.387
- Judith Kanensi Okoth, Sophie Atieno Ochola, Nicholas K. Gikonyo, Anselimo Makokha,2016:Development of a nutrient-dense complementary food using amaranth-sorghum grains Food Science and Nutrition,DOI: 10.1002/fsn3.367
- Okoth, M.A., Ochola,S., Onywera, V. & Steyn, N.P. (2015). Determinants of overweight and obesity in Kenyan adolescents in public and private schools. African Journal for Physical, Health Education, Recreation and Dance, 21(1:2), 261-272.
- M’Kaibi K. Florence, Steyn P. Nelia, Sophie Ochola and du Plessis Lissane. Effects of agricultural biodiversity and seasonal rain on dietary adequacy and household food security in rural areas of Kenya. BMC Public Health. 04/2015; 15(1):422. OI: 10.1186/s12889-015-1755-9.
- Sophie Ochola and Penina Kinya Masibo, 2014, Dietary Intake of School Children and Adolescents in Developing Countries. Ann Nutr Metab 2014; 64 (suppl 2): 24-40. DOI: 1159/000365235
- Andrew Kiri Amegovu, Patrick Ogwok, Sophie Ochola, Peter Yiga, Juliet Hatoho Musalima & Juliana Mandha, 2014,Sensory Acceptability of Sorghum Peanut Blend (SPB) and Corn Soy Blend Plus (CSB+) By Young Children With Moderate Acute Malnutrition in Karamoja, Uganda, Journal of Food Science, ISSN 1927-0887 E-ISSN 1927-0895 DOI:10.5539/jfr.v3n2p17
- Andrew K. Amegovu, Patrick Ogwok, Sophie Ochola, Peter Yiga, Juliet H. Musalima, Emma Mutenyo, 2013, Formulation of sorghum-peanut blend using linear programming for treatment of moderate acute malnutrition in Uganda, J. Food Chem. Nutr. 01 (02) 2013. 67-77, ISSN: 2307-4124 (Online), 2308-7943 (Print) http://www.escijournals.Jt/JFCN
- Okoth Judith Kanensi, Dr Sophie Ochola, Prof Nicholas. K. Gikonyo, Prof Anselimo Makokha, 2013, Effect of Steeping and Germination on the Diastatic Activity and Sugar Content in Amaranth Grains and Viscosity of Porridge, J. Agric. Food. Tech., 3(1)1-7, 2013, ISSN 2090 – 424X
- Ochola SA, Labadarios D, Nduati RW, 2012, Impact of counselling on exclusive breast-feeding practices in a poor urban setting in Kenya: a randomized controlled trial, Public Health Nutr Oct 8:1-9, [Epub ahead of print]. PMID Available Online: http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FPHN%2FPHN16_10%2FS1368980012004405a.pdf&code=c74d5aa54da188b1b810d4d41529542f
- Regina W Mbochi, Elizabeth Kuria, Judith Kimiywe, Sophie Ochola and Nelia P Steyn. 2012, Predictors of overweight and obesity in adult women in Nairobi Province, Kenya, BMC Public Health 12:823. Available Online: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/12/823
- Okoth Judith Kanensi, Sophie Ochola, Nicholas. K. Gikonyo, Anselimo Makokha. 2011, Optimization of the Period of Steeping nand Germination for Amaranth Grain, Journal of Agriculture and Food Technology, 1(6) 101-105, 2011. 2090 424 X Available Online:
- Swallow B and Ochola S 2005, The Multiple Linkages between Agroforestry, Health and Nutrition, 2020 Focus Briefs, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ochola, S; Demetre, L.; Nduati, R. Potentials and barriers to exclusive breastfeeding among women in an urban low-resource setting in Nairobi, Kenya: A qualitative study: po3318. Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism. 63 Supplement: 808, September 2013.
Chapters in Books
- Brent Swallow and Sophie Ochola, Agroforestry, Nutrition and Health. In Understanding the Links between Agriculture and Health edited by Corinna Hawkes and Marie T. Rue, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), 2020 Vision for Food, Agriculture and the Environment, Focus 13. 2005
- Sophie Ochola, The Role of Home Economics in the promotion of Health. In The Role of Home Economics in Kenya. Strategies for Change. Discussion Papers edited by Olive M. Mugenda, Ngatho Polishers, Nairobi 1995, ISBN 9966 9887 6 9
- 1995: Sophie Ochola, Kenya Certificate of Primary Education Home Science Revision. Published by the Kenya Literature Bureau
- Co-authored Forms 1, 11 and 111 Home Science textbooks and Form 111 Teachers’ Guide for the Kenya Institute of Education, 1986
- Co-authored Teachers’ Guide for Primary Schools Home Science for the Kenya Institute of Education, 1986